Thursday, August 20, 2009

English Muffins

Its only right...the time had come to retire my 9-year-old classic Kitchen Aid mixer...it was weak...& not up to the challenge of bread...too many near misses with the silly thing walking (or should I say jumping) dangerously close to the edge of the counter...Behold the Kitchen Aid Professional 600!
Ok! English Muffins! My messy mise en place...
Dry ingredients mixed together before adding the shortening & milk...
Paddle attachment formed mixture into a ball & then attached the dough hook...
The result of 8 minutes of kneading...a smooth, silken glob...
Book says ideal is 77'-81'F...a bit warmer in my kitchen...
60-90 minutes fermentation time...
Wow! That more than doubled!
Divide into six pieces of 3 ounces each...
One little straggler left over...plastic placed over balls & another 60-90 minutes of proofing time...
My wonderful Cuisinart Griddler...set at 350'...
Flipped them over after 10 minutes...notice the little indents on the sides - they are from my fingers...note: better to just use a metal spatula & not your fingers...
Each side was on the griddler for about 10 minutes & then placed into a 350'F oven for another 8 minutes...
The result?
BeautifThey rose a lot higher than I expected & kept their shape very well...
They are very tasty! Golden & crisp on the outside & doughy & soft, yet firm on the inside! Reminds me of the muffins served at B&B's across England...

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Angela. Your muffins look fabulous! And..I WANT YOUR KITCHEN AID! (I have an old weak one too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful english muffins. Think of your indent from your fingers on the side as your "signature"! Only one question unanswered, "Did you get the nooks and crannies on the inside?" I am obsessed with those nooks and crannies. I did not get them. Your new KA is beautiful. My old one did jump off the counter and made a dent in my hardwood floor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I love the finger indents. It's definitely a signature. Funny, whenever I make tortillas on the griddle, I use my fingers, but for this one I used a spatula. Fingers would have been easier!

    ReplyDelete