Sunday, May 31, 2009

Poor Man's Brioche

Poor Man's Brioche - taking the advice of some fellow bakers on the google group message boards, I decided I wanted to make a version of the brioche that if I accidently just happened to eat it all, I wouldn't feel as guilty as if I ate the rich man's brioche (2 cups of butter)...so I opted to make the Poor Man's version (1/2 cup butter)...wow...I feel so much better about myself already... Ok...the sponge...full fat milk between 90-100 degrees...

45 minutes for the sponge to do its thing...
Then mixing the rest of the ingredients & the 90 minute proof...
Whoa...definately doubled in size...
2nd proof
Divided up...
A little egg wash...
I wish this was a scratch & sniff sticker...because the smells coming from my kitchen were just a*m*a*z*i*n*g!
The egg wash gave the bread an amazing golden color...
Wow...another successful turnout! Don't worry, I'm not getting a big head...I completely burned tonight's dinner & considered ordering pizza...The only thing salvageable was the bread which we used the little rolls as burger buns...I think toasted slices with anything will be great as well!

4 comments:

  1. WOW, WOW, WOW! You did an awesome job. They look great.
    Great write up,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!!! That is a great bred!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! And I agree with you that we should all start posting our weights with our weekly bread pictures...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The loaves are beautiful. Happy to hear you are human and burned the rest of dinner! Love the idea of posting our weekly weight gain. Maybe we should start an exercise group on the side!

    ReplyDelete